Next event for The BARNyartists (GOAT & JackRabbit James) is Thurs, Jan 22nd at Lola’s Saloon in Ft. Worth, TX. We’ll be rockin’ a set of new material with Hologram Dagger & opening up for Sole & DJ Pain 1.
Each year, I push myself to look back & appreciate the blessings of the past 365 days. Here’s a taste of 2014…
- Designed a new website —> GradesOfAbsoluteTruth.com
- Was invited to be involved in ArtLoveMagic’s SE7EN Unplugged Show, which resulted in this video (shout out to Michael Lagocki)
- Released a recap video of us opening up for Everlast (shout out to MO!)
- Finished shooting footage for an upcoming official music video
- Completed & released a video for the #SpitSomeBars Challenge
- Prepared for an active & successful 2015 by scheduling the official release of 2 videos & 2 EPs
- Designed a webpage & promo material for services that I’ll be offering to indie musicians soon
- Completed the construction for The Intelligent South studio that’s housed in my Deep Ellum loft
- Developed a few work relationships that you will see more of in 2015
- Published 29 blog posts
- Was an opening act for 2 national artists that I respect – Ceschi & Bubba Sparxxx
- Released lots of new high quality merch
- Sold out of 2 different items in my merch store
- Was featured on Frankie Kant’s Yesterday’s Tomorrow
- Performed for the 1st time as The BARNyartists at the WaxTooth Records Showcase (with JackRabbit James & Hologram Dagger)
- Performed during SXSW for the 5th time (shout out to CMG)
- Performed as a full band at the Deep Ellum Arts Festival
- Had 16 shows throughout Texas & Arkansas
- Published 333 photos on instagram —> @musicbygoat
- Had a cameo as a strung out junkie in Frankie Kant’s “Back To The Wall” video
- Was included in “Tunes & Artists to Check Out Before 2015″ on SphereMusic, based in Bacolod City, Philippines (shout out to Baxter Labatos)
- “Hands Around My Throat” was featured on InannaNaked.com
- Was featured on Expatspost.com
- Was interviewed by IMG & 411RealityRadio (shout out to Omie D & Ed Gray)
- Maintained HipHopHelpsHeal.com
- Produced H4’s 2nd Kickball Tournament between 6 crews in the DFW scene, which raised $1001 for Autism Speaks (shout out to Elite Representatives, Human Resources, ArtLoveMagic, Valley Of The Kings Music, & Doug Funnie’s 808s)
- Helped out with The Night H4 Saved Christmas V.2 (shout out to Theary), which raised $635 for Genesis Women’s Shelter
- On top of that, I completed my 9th year & began my 10th year of teaching music at the same school
- Launched the beginning of my online educational persona – KeyOfMrG (built a website with bandcamp, youtube, instagram, & twitter accounts) – KeyOfMrG.com
One last thing…you’re AWESOME. Your support is appreciated more than you know and your words of encouragement keep me going. Cheers to moving forward next year!
Tunes and Artists to Check Out Before 2015
The shout out for this writing goes to Justin Griffith a.k.a. GOAT (Grades of Absolute Truth). I follow his Instagram and Twitter feeds and I understand how he keeps his music community happy. Apart from writing and performing his music, he also teaches kids and adults to learn musical instruments, even if he doesn’t teach them to sing or rap. And what is that? Well, he has this exciting merchandising going on.
These days it is not enough to post tunes or perform live through social media. You gotta give your fans something they can use for their everyday life. And nothing is better than a cap, a shirt or a jacket – anything that’s practical. And Griffith is so good in this. He also posts snippets of his live videos via Instagram. Instagram is a good tool in exposing your music/art/blog. Never underestimate the power of the hashtag. He reminds me a bit of Beck who jumps from one genre to another. This music video I posted represents that point.
So who are the musicians backing Griffith?
They are: GOAT (Griffith) – Lead Vocals/Guitar, Double J – Producer/Keys/Backup Vocals, Christian Sly – Guitar/Backup Vocals, Graham Impey – Bass Guitar, James Bownds – Drums/Percussion/Backup Vocals, Lourdes Mabel – Backup Vocals. His inspirations are singer/songwriters, conscious hip hop, rock, blues, and soul while combining the depth of an introverted poet, the precision of a perfectionist, and the relevance of a leader. He was included in the Top 10 Artists in DFW by LIT Monthly.
He has an impressive array of performances, having opened for Everlast, Bubba Sparxxx, Shwayze, Paul Wall, Jon Connor, King Los, Devin the Dude, Snow Tha Product, Mac Lethal, Ceschi, Mr. Dibbs, & more. He can also perform as an acoustic act, duo, trio, or with a 6-piece band. See how versatile this artist is? He exudes an amiable vibe. You can tell it, not just from his social media posts, but through his charisma on stage. So yes, this is a shout out to this awesome guy and I am sure other artists out there can learn from his tireless way of getting his music out there.
Since 2009, H4 (Hip Hop Helps Heal) has donated $3500 & 48 giant boxes of toys to those in need during the holidays.
This Saturday, we’re raising funds to donate to Genesis Women’s Shelter. Join us for The Night H4 Saved Christmas V.2 at The Basement Gallery in Dallas.